Sunday, October 25, 2015

Day 28 - 31 Sirria to Ribadiso de Biaxo

Day 29
Today was beautiful. The day started foggy, but by 9:00am the fog had lifted and it was sunny and 70 degrees. I met an aunt and niece from Stockholm, Sweden. They had family in Seattle and had visited there several times.


I also walked with Rob and Phil from Great Britain. Phil was from Whales and Rob had just retired as head of Probation and Parole for England and Scotland. We agreed that the Camino walk was a time to not discuss unimportant things like work and politics!


On arrival in Portomarin a familiar voice called "JOEL"! It was my new Camino sister, Lisa from Skascatoon. I hadn't seen her in over three days and I figured I wouldn't see her again. We greeted each other like long lost family and we had lunch and cerveza.


Now I am going up town Portomarin and find about their history of being flooded 40 years ago and being rebuilt including several historical buildings torn down and rebuilt from the original materials.
 




Day 30
Wow, four days walking left at the start of the day and 57  miles left to Santiago. It was cloudy and warm when I started out. There was a steady climb right away. It was a uneventful climb until 10:30 when the heavens opened up and rained down kittens and puppies. After an hour I stopped at a trailside bar and had a Galician sausage sandwich and coffee. Joel from the other Washington I joined me at my table. He is 71 and has walked most of the Camino, but the last couple weeks he hasn't carried his backpack but has it driven to the next anticipated night's stop.
.
After a half hour I put on my backpack and rain gear. In a half hour more the rain stopped. I ended up walking with John and Mary Jane from Philadelphia. They were walking it together. In 1974 they were living together. They decided to backpack Europe for three months, staying at hostels, eating from markets, etc. It went so well they got married. Each passed the "roll with the punches test" and the ability to live on little.
When I arrived in Palas De Rei I found that Rob and Phil were my roommates. After getting settled I met John and Mary. John along with two ladies from Australia and one from North Carolina. We enjoyed beer and wine and I had a burger and fries. Have I mentioned how much I like the way they make fries on the Camino?

Day 31
Daylight savings time in Spain expired last night so we had daylight at 7:30am. I walked 25.6K yesterday and today day 15.9 miles. Only 26.5 miles to Santiago. Heavy rain is predicted for the rest of my time on the Camino. Rob had me take a photo with both of us, as his mother wants him to talk about the Camino to her church Version of The Red Hat Society. He said I was one of the interesting people on the Camino.
There are many interesting people on the Camino.  In Melide I crossed a 700 year old bridge. After I stopped at a café for a calamari sandwich German John came along. He was the cook at the Sangria party several of nights back. He is taking time off and traveling. I encouraged him and told this is the smartest thing he could do right now in his life. There is plenty of time to complete his education but if he doesn't do this now, society obligations will take over and he might not get the chance again. He is planning on going to South Portugal after the Camino and Work at a hotel to save money for his next adventure. I reached in my backpack and pulled out four Zone bars. I gave them to him, he shouted out "peanut butter chocolate" and devoured two of them within a minute! He is my kind of young person. I wish him the best.

I also spent a hour walking and talking with Bonnie, she is 71. She and her husband live in Boquete, Panama. Her husband is retired military officer. She was originally from Wisconsin, but now has traveled the world. People who travel are always interesting. Another great dinner with the other Joel and Peter and Tammy  from Vancouver. Off to bed as I have two days left on this Walk!

AS YOU NOTICE, AGAIN THIS POST IS MOSTLY ABOUT THE PEOPLE JOEL MEETS ON THE CAMINO.  ALTHOUGH HE'S HAD TIME ON THE WALK WHERE IT'S JUST HIM AND THE CAMINO AND HAVING HIS SPIRITUAL TIME OF INSIGHT, HE CHOOSES TO SHARE AT THIS TIME HIS JOY IN MEETING PEOPLE THAT HAVE ADDED TO HIS EXPERIENCE.  

1 comment: