Sunday, October 18, 2015

Day 22 - 24, A Broken Walking Stick, A Sangria Party and a Tough Day Climbing the Tallest Mountain on the Camino

Oct. 16
On Friday I hiked to Astorga from Leon. In Astorga I met the young people I walked the first five segments of the Camino. They invited me to a communal dinner. They combined their funds and bought the food. I said to them I was going to spend 10 Euros for dinner, so why don't I pitch the 10 Euros for wine. They were able to get eight bottles of wine and two liters of beer for the 10 Euros. They then chopped apples and pineapple into two bowls, one for white wine and on for red wine and made two batches of Sangria. Both Red and White Sangria and piles of pasta, Brie and bread! German John assisted  by some of the kids prepared the dinner. I offered to help both cooking and cleaning and was told I could do no such thing as I was the senior and honored guest. Great kids, and every parent should encourage the kids to do this sometime by them selves. They will make friends from around the world. A great time!

                                     



Oct. 17
Saturday was Australia day. While walking through a village I saw a sign advertising bacon and eggs. I had been wanting bacon and eggs for some time so I dropped in for some. While waiting, Maddie, a young girl I had met with others, sat down and we talked. She had trained as a concert pianist and at age 20 she was deciding between the piano and her college manors of biology and psychology. Madeleine from Tsamani, 20 years old, a trained a concert pianist. She had trouble sleeping last night due sore throat. I gave her two acetomephen PMs and told her to take them before bedtime. We all seem to help one another while on this walk. 
                                    Maddie
                  Rosie
 After that I ran into a couple from North of Sydney, Australia. They said they had heard me order bacon and eggs, so they did to. They pointed out the crosses woven into the fence approaching Rabanal.  The young people came through a half hour ago, but are going 5 KM farther. Today's was easy and I got in at 12:45 and laid down while washer and drier did my clothes. Now in Rabanal de Camino I ran into a woman who invited me to monks chanting tonight, she is from Melbourne. That night it rained most of the night.


Oct. 18
I am in Riego de Ambros. Having cerveza and a sandwich. I took a half hour off and then decided I could complete the last 4.7 K  I prepared for the climb to the highest point on the Camino. It rained off and off most of the day. The scenery was beautiful. The descent was hard on my hips, etc and it took me 2 1/2 hours to make the last 3 and 1/2 miles. I broke one of my walking sticks a few days ago, so I had one left to help me up and over the mountain.  My friend Omar helped by carrying my backpack for a couple of kilometers. I stopped and had ibuprofen washed to with beer which allowed me to finish the days hike. Tonight I will had a communal dinner at my Albergue in Molinaseca.
                          Joel at the highest elevation of Camino.
Misty day today.

Beautiful Foliage along the way.

Somehow I've missed a couple of his days. I'm sure when Joel returns, he'll fill you all in on anything I've left out.  Joel and I continue to be able to visit at least once a day via Skype.  He is so amazing and while most of us could never do something like this, the Camino was made with Joel in mind. I am so very proud of him. But, he will be home in 12 days.  Yes, I'm excited.   Buen Camino Joel!

No comments:

Post a Comment